Last updated on March 23rd, 2023 at 05:42 pm
Updated: Thursday, March 23
To help keep everyone as informed as possible, here is an update on the next steps involving our pastoral change.
Pete and Leadership encourage EVERYONE to continue to pray for Rev. Shannon Bullion, and her children, Mackenzie and Charlie, as they prepare to say “Goodbye” to their current congregation. And be in prayer for that congregation, Shandon UMC, as they are going through what you are going through. Trust that God has been preparing our next spiritual leader for such a time as this.
The Committee is also scheduling a time when the District Superintendent, Rev. Joey McDonald, will physically come and introduce Shannon (as she prefers to be addressed) to them. The Committee will provide a tour of the area and the campus of Church of the Palms. Initial orientation to available housing in the area will undoubtedly be a significant part of the visit. The official moving day is June 28.
Under the direction of Jill Swab, Chair of Church Council, and Elaine Graham, Chair of Staff Parish, other teams are forming to address specific transition tasks needed in the next 90+ days.
Pete has also provided some other information of importance (other dates /events may be added as this a very fluid process for everyone)
- Pete will meet with Bishop Holston at Asbury Hill during the week of May 8.
- The Staff Parish Relations Committee has scheduled a fare-well drop-in reception for Pete and Kathy on Sunday, May 28.
- Pete’s final days in the office will be at the end of May.
- Annual Conference is the first week of June, and Pete needs to be present early. The vote of the Clergy Session to accept the recommendation that Pete should be ordained will occur at 2:30 p.m. on the afternoon of June 4 in Florence.
- The Commissioning, Ordination, and Retirement Service is 7 p.m. on Sunday, June 4, in Florence. It will be live-streamed for those interested.
- During Annual Conference, David Voyles, your Lay Leader and Lay Member of the Annual Conference (along with any other Church of the Palms’ members present in Florence), will have the opportunity to have dinner with Shannon.
- The Appointments for 2023-2024 will be “fixed” by Bishop Holston on Wednesday of the Annual Conference.
- Pete and Kathy’s last Saturday / Sunday with Church of the Palms will be June 10 and 11.
- Guest proclaimers will lead worship the final two weeks of June.
- Shannon will first lead worship on July 1 and 2.
Watch for additional information coming soon.