Church of the Palms has designated the Aldersgate Special Needs Ministry (ASNM) as one of our cornerstone state/national missions.
What is Aldersgate Special Needs Ministry?
- A United Methodist Agency formed by families and friends seeking to prepare for the future of their loved ones with developmental disabilities
- To provide the highest possible quality of life
- The greatest possible level of independence
- Within the context of a community faith-based residential setting
How do they plan to help adults with developmental disabilities?
- Will build homes for adults with special needs, so that they can live in a Christian environment with a professional staff dedicated to providing a loving home
- First home is in Orangeburg, as part of the Methodist Oaks Retirement Community, this is a home for 6 men
- Second home is near the Campus of Epworth Children’s Home in Columbia, this is a home or 6 women
- We hope to build homes all across the South Carolina Conference
These Homes will also provide:
- Life skills training and work experiences
- Daily living skills, cooking, laundry, self-help, social and recreational
- Sunday connections to worshipping communities
Why help adults with developmental disabilities?
- Adults with developmental disabilities are one of the MOST underserved populations in South Carolina and the country
- As caregivers age, the waiting lists for housing for adults with special needs continue to grow
- Often, the only way for parents to get housing for their family member with special needs is to die or become disabled themselves
How YOU can help:
- Donate money and or property
- Lend professional expertise
- Adopt Aldersgate as an ongoing mission project for your church group
- Lend your prayers, spiritual and moral support